Saturday, March 22, 2008

Neighbors

I have this lady who lives in the building just west of mine. You can always tell when she is coming because you can hear her music from about a mile away. I would assume that she is probably in her 50's and could possibly be classified as a legal dwarf. I don't think in the 2.5 years I've lived here have I once seen her smile. But I hope she's enjoying her music. She just got home and was listening to the beach boys. One day I was leaving my complex and coming up to where I turn out of my street, well she was turning onto our street and took the widest turn I've ever seen and then shook her head and gave me a dirty look. I wasn't even in here way, I had slowed down because I saw her coming. Clearly she is not fond of me.

The neighbor directly above me is a nice guy. We always exchange our hello's and then go about what we were doing. His dad lives with him, or he lives with his dad... he claims that his dad had to move in with him and either way I guess it really doesn't matter. I don't think he works though, I know he used to work at the gym, but I think he's just now on disability. At least that's what I've heard. Sometimes I hear him yelling at his dad, and it always makes me a little nervous. Today his dad was coming down the stairs as I was walking towards my place and I smiled and said hello and he just stared at me. I guess it was the wrong thing to say. We walked out of our places at the same time again and I fiddled with my keys so that I wouldn't have to have another awkward crossing.

I've never had good neighbors in the condo next to mine. The first couple that lived there had a little boy, it was his boy, and the girlfriend just wasn't ever that nice to him. I always felt bad. And she didn't like me either. Probably because her boyfriend was always a nice friendly neighbor. She worked at a title company in the same building as I did and we ran into each other a few times, which was always kinda awkward. The neighbors after that were crack heads and the cops were at our place constantly. I called the cops on them a bunch of times and so did various neighbors, but mainly they called on themselves and saved us all the trouble. Nothing like a bunch of cops at 1, 2, 3 in the morning. It only took about 6 months to get them kicked out. The owner had no idea how bad it really was. And this new couple... I've seen him once and he just walked by and ignored me and I've really only seen her through the window. But her daughters cute dad always comes by after work to say hi to her. I think it's so cute. He's a highway patrol man, so the first time he was here to stop by I turned down my street and literally said "not again". I'm grateful he's just the dad and I don't have psychotic neighbors again.

On the top floor there is a lesbian and then next to her this other lady and her son. Both of which I think hate me, or are just really not that friendly. Then next to the dad and son combo is Candace. She basically is my only friend in this whole place. And boy can she talk. I don't know a second where that girl isn't on her phone! She was even talking to me AND on the phone with someone else on her little ear piece. She has the most adorable son julian, I think he's almost 5. There is this guy on the other side of our building who parks right next to me. And for the past 2.5 years he has not once said hi or smiled at me. I used to think he was gay, but then noticed that recently he and the girl he lives next to have a little thing going on. I'm also pretty sure that another guy that lives on that side is my cousin Lynsi's brother in law...

I think people are so interesting. My complex is pretty quiet, and I wish it was a little more upbeat. It would be fun to be able to get together with some of the neighbors. One of the condos just south of mine is for sale... I'm really hoping Mr Tall Handsome Fabulous Husband to be moves buys it. So everyone keep their fingers crossed for me!

4 comments:

  1. Legal dwarf?!? Bwahahahahahahaha!

    You kill me.

    I think Prince Charles lives behind me, but he never says much to me either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely freakin' neighbors lady! Gotta love it! I guess enjoy the peace and quite, you could have a Dominic....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynsi's brother in law? Hmmm. I never knew that.

    Our neighbors are PWT. Pure white trash. Chain link fence, rottweiler, lady holding her cigarette out the sliding glass door so she doesn't stink up her house (uh, I'm guessing this doesn't work that well), broken truck on one side of the house, broken boat on the other. Oh, and I'm pretty sure they're using NFL blankets or sheets as window treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tut tut, Kate! I am shocked at you. Big judger.

    Oh. Just kidding. :)

    ReplyDelete