Monday, July 9, 2007

"If we can find forgiveness in our hearts for those who have caused us hurt and injury, we will rise to a higher level of self-esteem and well-being"




“Forgiveness is freeing up and putting to better use the energy once consumed by holding grudges, harboring resentments, and nursing unhealed wounds. It is rediscovering the strengths we always had and relocating our limitless capacity to understand and accept other people and ourselves.”

-Dr. Sidney
Simon



I've been putting forth a lot of thought into forgiveness lately. I've been taught at such a young age to "forgive and forget" not really know what the benefits of this phrase really meant until recently. Why it has taken 23 years to grasp the concept is really beyond me. Today I decided to get on the internet and look up some talks given by general authorities and see what they had to say on the topic. In my own opinion I don't feel like you can truely heal yourself until you forgive someone in your heart and discover a love for them that you can't have when holding such feelings of anger and resentment so close to your heart and out in plain sight. The article I've mainly been reading is by President James E Faust called The Healing Power of Forgiveness. I tried to put a link up, but for some reason couldn't get it to work. Sorry! (http://www.lds.org/) It's a great article and hits just about every point on the head. I feel like all too often we hold onto this hate it is direct it towards others who have noth. We get so caught up, that just being mad at anyone helps you feel better. I've done this for most of my life. And I think family gets the brunt of your anger. And sometimes it tears your relationships apart and leaves bitterness and even more anger.



"Somehow forgiveness, with love and tolerance, accomplishes
miracles that can happen in no other way."


-President Gordon B Hinkley


I'm definately not perfect. I don't claim to be, but I'm going to be all about forgiving and forgetting. I have found that just in the past two weeks that I have been majorly focusing on it I have noticed a difference in the way I look at everyone. There have been situations that have come up that I have had to really just let go and be more understanding and realize that everyone deals with things differently. It hasn't been easy, but I know it will definately be worth it!





4 comments:

  1. Go Ashley! You are an inspiration for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this apply to creepy ex-husbands? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's your decision to make! :)

    ReplyDelete